Last week we heard the terrible news about the death in Charlottesville of Heather Heyer and 2 the two policemen, Trooper-Pilot Berke M. M. Bates and Pilot Lt. H. Jay Cullen as they peacefully resisted and observed the white nationalists marching through the town. The anger, pain and revulsion that people feel are very real as are the threats that this movement of white nationalism poses.
But there are things you can do. Very simple things that don’t seem heroic, but cut at the heart of the issues.
- Go to moveon.org/readytoresist. They are hosting phone and internet briefings with civil rights activists from organisations such as the Southern Poverty Law Center and members of government.
- Talk to friends and neighbours
- Never give up on democracy, because the white nationalist movement is actively seeking to take over the State and Federal apparatus.
- Keep the press honest
- Build an attractive vision of the future
And then put your name to something. colorofchange.org are running two text campaigns – and you might think it’s armchair activism, but volume of response really matters.
- Demand continued removal of confederate symbols by texting DOWN to 225-568
- Credit card companies are profiting from these hate groups by offering them credit. The no Bloodmoney.org campaign looks to pressurise credit providers and last week Paypal and Applepay promised to remove them whilst Visa, Mastercard and American Express are looking to do the same. Text BLOOD to 225 568
Finally, there are many people who will point to these people and tell you that white nationalists, white supremacists, the KKK, that they are Christians. They are not Christians, but they are using our name. We have to act for common decency, we have to act for justice, we have to act for hope and not fear, we have to act and stand up to show that this is not what being Christian means.